At a glance
ABN AMRO is on the trend of greater use of models. Driven in part by regulation but the growing reliance on models manifests in all areas of the bank. For risk management purposes ABN AMRO has models in place for a.o. credit risk, market risk, operational risk, and liquidity risk, covering the entire balance sheet of the bank. The Model Validation team is the main party challenging the quality of the models in ABN AMRO. As a result of the increase of the usage of models in the bank, our scope is continuously expanding. This increase requires also challenging models with new techniques, causing a stimulating and dynamic work environment. Do you enjoy an analytic job which makes a difference in the organization? Do you seek for a challenging and dynamic job with the opportunity of steep learning?
As a Model Validator in the Innovation & Projects Model Validation team, you are responsible for technical and high quality validations of:
Large-scale projects of new model development in any risk type, e.g. IFRS9 models in provisioning, new definition of default implementation in credit risk,
Operational risk and stress-testing models,
Innovative modelling initiatives, e.g. machine learning type of models,
Nonfinancial risk models e.g. compliance models (anti-money laundering, client screening), IT security models (phishing detection), etc.,
Investment advisory models e.g. option pricing and market risk models for standard and structured products.
These validations contribute to identifying and mitigating the model risk at ABN AMRO in line with internal and external requirements and reflecting best market practices. You form an independent opinion on matters such as the mathematical consistency of the model, its suitability for the intended use, the accuracy of the model and its proposed implementation, model performance, as well as quality of the data which is used in modelling process. The findings of the validation are presented in a validation report, which contains a recommendation towards the risk committee mandated to grant model approvals, as well as proposals for mitigating action in case model deficiencies have been identified. Model Validation has a mandate to escalate the issues to the CRO of the bank.
The scope of the Innovation&Projects team will keep growing over time and you will take part of very diverse projects in terms of modelling methodologies and stakeholder management.
The Model Risk Management department consists of four Model Validation teams (Innovation & Projects, Credit Risk Model Validation, ALM & Capital Model Validation, Valuation & Market Risk Model Validation) and one Model Risk Management Office. Together these teams safeguard the Model Risk Management Framework of the bank. Validation is a powerful tool in model risk management and is a regulatory obligation.
The Model Validation teams operate independently of the model development departments at ABN AMRO to ensure the objectivity of the validation process. It covers the model risk dimensions of data, methodology, implementation and use. The outcome of the validation process affects every level of the organisation – from individual client acceptance to strategic decision making and steering.
The Innovation&Projects team consists of specialists with diverse cultural background, academic and working experience. By working within the Innovation&Projects team you will be able to enjoy a dynamic and open environment which relies on flexible mind-set, collaboration and discussion, and encourages taking initiative and responsibility.
- University degree in a quantitative discipline, e.g. mathematics, physics, econometrics or similar, at least at Master level. A PhD and/or additional qualification is desirable.
- At least 2 years of relevant work experience in a quantitative role in the financial industry (e.g. modeller, model validator, quant developer, quantitative consultant) and/or in related research.
- Experience with and understanding of one or more of the following type of models: time series analyses and Bayesian estimation models, options pricing and market risk models including statistical and numerical methods used in quantitative finance, machine learning models, is preferred.
- Knowledge of regulatory requirements regarding model risk management and risk modelling is welcomed.
- Experience with programming languages, e.g. Python, MATLAB, C++. Additional knowledge of database tooling, e.g., SQL, SAS and their application in statistical analysis is preferred.
- Good communication to a wide range of stakeholders.
- Full business proficiency in English.
We are offering
We are offering
- The opportunity to be the best you can be, work flexible hours and lots of room to grow both personally and professionally
- The opportunity to pro-actively work on your vitality and fitness
- A salary ranging from [EUR] to [EUR] per month based on a 36-hour workweek
- A supplementary benefit budget of 11%, which you can spend on additional fringe benefits
- A personal development budget of EUR 1.000 per year
- An annual public transportation pass or travel budget, depending on the function
- A solid pension plan
If you positively outmatch this profile, please take a look at our Innovation & Projects Senior Model Validator position as well.
We are ongoing recruiting highly skilled people who can reinforce our team. We are happy receiving your application if you think you meet the recruitment criteria. The interview process consists of multiple interviews in which we focus on your experience, skills and knowledge. Besides that we are also interested to learn more about you; what thrives you, what do you consider as your qualities and area(s) of development.
Please get in touch with Jovanka Lukic (firstname.lastname@example.org, Team Lead) in case you like to learn more about the position and the interview process.
Please only apply to one vacancy; the position that fits best with your experience, skills and knowledge.
Equal opportunities for all
The success of our organisation depends on the quality of our people and the ideas that they have. Truly surprising insights and innovative solutions for our clients result from an interplay of cultures, knowledge and experience. Diversity is therefore extremely important to our organisation. To ensure that everyone at ABN AMRO can develop their talents, we encourage an inclusive culture in which all colleagues feel engaged and appreciated.
Disclaimer external recruitment agencies
External recruitment agencies need to have a signed agreement with ABN AMRO BANK N.V., executed by a Talent Acquisition Specialist, when submitting a resume to a vacancy. In addition, a recruitment agency can only submit a resume when invited by a Talent Acquisition Specialist to join the search for a right candidate. All unsolicited resumes sent to us will be considered property of ABN AMRO BANK N.V. In this case, ABN AMRO will not be held liable to pay a placement fee.