At S[&]T we are specialized in R&D solutions for space, science, and defence. We live and breathe innovation, and are one of the few partners that work together with High Tech organizations in optimizing performance through projects on-site or in-house at S[&]T.
For our research partner, a radio astronomy institute in the north-east of the Netherlands, we are currently looking for a Scientific Software Engineer / Developer.
As a software developer in the Software Delivery group, you will work in the scrum team that builds the software for new astronomical instruments, telescopes and stations. The telescopes new stations are the start of an upgrade program that will reach further into space and will open up new science goals. This will create an even larger data stream (till 400 Gbit/s) that must be efficiently managed by the software your team creates.
You will work closely together with the teams that produce the hard- and firmware to ensure timely delivery and smooth integration. To facilitate this, we implement the latest frameworks and develop new techniques to handle the data volumes and serve them to our scientific customers.
Emphasis is placed on delivering maintainable code, incorporating tests at all levels, and providing appropriate documentation. You will collaborate with scientists and engineers internally and with European universities and institutes to implement this new functionality and/or support the current software stack.
We are looking for a talented programmer and a team player. Someone who is familiar with developing software for scientific (astronomical) instrumentation and/or distributed scientific Monitor and Control systems. A scientific software developer how is at home in a dynamic international scientific environment.
Furthermore, you have the following:
- More than 5 years of experience in a scientific environment, preferably (radio) telescopes or related astronomy systems;
- Python 3 and preferably C++ 11 programming experience in a Linux environment;
- Experience with developing multiprocess/multi-threaded software.
- Experience with developing in Monitor and Control frameworks such as Tango-Controls, Epics control system or Alma communication software;
- Experience with software development and life-cycle maintenance for distributed systems;
- Experience with interpreting and writing ICDs.
- You are a team player with strong communication skills in English both written as oral;
- You see yourself as an out-of-the box thinker with a can-do mentality who is not afraid to give his own opinion and who can ask the hard questions;
- You have experience with working in a Scrum / agile environment and are open to picking up the Scrum master role when required;
- Finally this position is in the Netherlands, so you are open to relocation or already local.
Would you like to hear more? Send your CV and motivational letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, or apply directly through our website! Kindly note that acquisition from third parties (e.g., agencies) based on this vacancy is not welcome.
Please note that if you do not hear back from us within 10 days from your application, you may assume that we have selected another candidate we would like to interview for this position. We do our best to get back to you individually, however, due to a high volume in response, have not been able to reject your application in person.