At a glance
We are currently seeking a high calibre professional to join our Center of Expertise (CoE) as Data Scientist. The candidate will be responsible for applying advanced statistical analysis tools and ML techniques for different type of business challenges e.g., customer segmentation, customer targeting, product bundling, recommendations, text analytics, mining and generation, customer intent modelling and the Next Best Action etc.
We are looking for a Data Scientist Data & Algorithms that will help us discover the information hidden in vast amounts of data, and help us make smarter decisions to deliver even better products. Your primary focus will be in applying data mining techniques, statistical analysis, and building high quality prediction systems integrated with our products. This includes lead generation for marketing campaigns, building recommendation systems, improvement and extension of the features used by our existing models, development of A/B testing procedures etc.
Our ideal team member will have the mathematical and statistical expertise you’d expect, but a natural curiosity and creative mind that’s not so easy to find. As you mine, interpret, and clean data, we will rely on you to ask questions, connect the dots, and uncover opportunities that lie hidden within—all with the ultimate goal of realizing the data’s full potential. You will join a team of data specialists, but will “slice and dice” data using your own methods, creating new visions for the future.
The Data Scientist Data & Algorithms is a senior position with a leading role in our team. The candidate is expected to give direction, advise, coach and monitor junior colleagues. Therefore we require at least 5 years of relevant professional experience. Having said that, we like to be amazed: if you have done something outstanding during your studies, like contributing to open source projects or starting your own company, we also encourage you to apply if you don’t have the full five years’ experience.
The candidate is expected to fulfil the following responsibilities fully independent and with great ownership.
- Design the analysis: explicitly plan the analysis, anticipate and address competing explanation, determine the best way to evaluate the intended results.
- Conduct analysis: wrangle and explore the data appropriately, visualize and present the exploration results; develop/apply and devise appropriate algorithms; work as a thought data and algorithms lead; identify and integrate new datasets that can be leveraged through the product capabilities; work closely with the data engineering team to strategize and execute the development of data products; help solve various problems and make a true impact across various business units and domains.
- Business implementation: Discover the needs of the business/user; package technical work for diverse audiences; navigate the business organization structure; build a business network ; communicate analytic solutions to stakeholders and implement improvements as needed to operational systems.
- Engineering integration: Develop data pipelines from and to different (cloud and no-cloud) locations; make work compatible with the operationalisation stack; apply hands-on knowledge of the MLOps practices; co-create solution architectures; bring analytical models into production by collaborating with the engineers, co-create solution architectures.
- Way of working (WoW): Shape and enforce the WoW of the team and align it with other teams; work independently; collaborate with others; continuous improvement mindset; Lead complex use case: Lead complex projects, particularly XFN (cross-functional) projects; helping and influencing the grids (tribes) in the business line and the business units to prioritize their roadmap for more data driven solutions.
- Build the profession: Present in internal meetings and knowledge sharing sessions, as well as external conferences, meetups, workshops, encourage the team and staff; able to mentor and lead other data scientists.
The Advanced Analytics Center of Expertise (AAD CoE) is a comprehensive data & analytics department part of Customer and Digital Experience in ABN AMRO Retail Banking. We work with our the successful banking app, but also Grip and Tikkie. Within Customer & Digital Experience the online platforms are being created and built that offer all the digital products of ABN AMRO Retail. All of these developments and products are powered by the data & analytics of the Advanced Analytics & Data CoE.
We strongly believe that online banking should be easier, faster, more delightful, and more personal to create sustainable long-term relationships with our customers. To do so, we develop suitable solutions that give our customers greater financial control. With a vast amount of data at hand, together with our unique usability lab as test-station we build digital services in an agile way that surprise customers and help them move forward. At Customer & Digital Experience you get the freedom and responsibility to improve our products & services. In other words, we encourage you to release your creativity and put it into practice. The environment is similar to a start-up atmosphere – feel free to wear your sneakers.
The ideal candidate is expected to:
- Have a master’s degree in computer science, engineering, mathematics, statistics; econometrics or related field;
- 5-7 years of relevant industry experience
- Be able to analyse problems and strategize for better solutions
- Be comfortable in both a leadership and team-player role
- Be a creative problem solver who thrives when presented with a challenge
- Be goal-oriented, organized team player
- Good interpersonal skills and communication
- Expert in a wide arsenal of statistical, machine learning, deep learning and operation research techniques to help solve different classes of problems; having a deep knowledge of the models, their pitfall, knowing what types of transformations work best with them, being able to recommend, coach and convince other data scientists on the right technical approach, being able to balance between the model quality and the speed of delivery;
- Comfort working in a dynamic environment with several ongoing concurrent projects; able to prioritize, and manage time effectively
- Experience with coaching and mentoring junior data scientists
- Up-to-date on the latest industry trends; able to articulate trends and potentials clearly and confidently
- Proficiency in using SQL, Python and PySpark.
- Knowledge of at least one of the cloud platforms (Azure, AWS, GCP)
- Experience in Banking and/or e-Commerce is a plus.
We are offering
We offer you a challenging position in a professional environment in which you get the opportunity to be the best version of yourself. You will be able to gain a lot of knowledge of the financial field and further develop your data science skills. We also offer the possibility to follow general and (specific) data science trainings. We offer you excellent terms of employment and benefits:
- A good monthly salary based on a 36-hour working week
- A position that offers a lot of opportunities for professional development
- The ability to work flexibly
- We help you to stay fit & vital
- An additional benefit budget of 11%, with which you can buy flexible terms of employment
- A personal development budget of € 1,000 per year
- An annual public transport ticket for unlimited travel
- A good pension scheme
- A great organization with a great work culture
- Interesting work and challenging projects
- A team that likes to help, supplement and strengthen each other
Are you interested? Please respond to this vacancy now. For more information about the role, please contact Marija Despenic, Team Lead Data Science, Advance Analytics & Data CoE (firstname.lastname@example.org). For more information about the recruitment process, please contact Robert van den Boogaard (email@example.com).
A part of the data scientist interview process is a take home assignment. This is a modelling/data analysis, machine learning assignment designed to take a couple of hours to complete
Equal opportunities for all
The success of our organisation depends on the quality of our people and the ideas that they have. Truly surprising insights and innovative solutions for our clients result from an interplay of cultures, knowledge and experience. Diversity is therefore extremely important to our organisation. To ensure that everyone at ABN AMRO can develop their talents, we encourage an inclusive culture in which all colleagues feel engaged and appreciated.
Disclaimer external recruitment agencies
External recruitment agencies need to have a signed agreement with ABN AMRO BANK N.V., executed by a Talent Acquisition Specialist, when submitting a resume to a vacancy. In addition, a recruitment agency can only submit a resume when invited by a Talent Acquisition Specialist to join the search for a right candidate. All unsolicited resumes sent to us will be considered property of ABN AMRO BANK N.V. In this case, ABN AMRO will not be held liable to pay a placement fee.