Wageningen or Metslawier, fulltime
As a bioinformatician you will be part of our bioinformatics team and support all other research and breeding teams within the R&D department. This function combines two major roles. On the one hand an independent developer, handling requests and contributing to the development of our bioinformatics pipelines, tools, databases, and infrastructure and on the other hand a bioinformatics specialist as a member of interdisciplinary project teams. You will be closely collaborating with our in-house IT specialists and other data scientists.
You will be a major player in bringing data driven potato breeding to the next level. A real team player, willing to understand the needs of our “bioinformatics-customers” and able to explain bioinformatic approaches and opportunities to non-bioinformaticians. By organizing, analyzing, and visualizing data you will help to make the right decisions within our breeding program, contributing to better varieties and a sustainable and healthy future for all.
- MSc in (bio)informatics, computational biology or related a field.
- Excellent programming skills, preferably in Python.
- Communicator and team player.
- Experienced Linux environment and command line user.
- Good data management skills and are “FAIR-data” aware.
- Experience with building and querying databases using SQL.
- Experience with working in a cloud environment.
- Experience with large scale omics data analyses.
What would give a plus to your profile:
- Some years of experience working as a bioinformatician.
- Experience with data warehousing/data lakes.
- Experience with plant genomics and genetics.
- Experience with Git/Azure DevOps.
- Experience with Databricks.
- Experience with machine learning.
- Comfortable with concepts like Data Lake House, parallelization, virtualization, containerization, Infrastructure as Code.
What we offer:
At HZPC we attach great importance to personal initiative and personal development. You enter an informal work environment where you get the space to further develop yourself.
- A fulltime employment (holding office from our location in Wageningen or Metslawier).
- A group of enthusiastic and experienced colleagues from specialized departments.
- Good secondary employment conditions, including a 13th month, premium free pension, travel allowance and a collective variable gratification.
- A position in an international environment in a healthy and growing organization.
Founded in 1898 and rooted in the Netherlands, HZPC has become a global market leader in innovative breeding, seed potato trading and concept development. Our ambition is a sustainable growth. We offer innovative potato varieties that are optimized for local cultivation conditions. We share knowledge and provide solutions that dynamically anticipate the climatic, cultural and commercial challenges that the whole area of food has to deal with. With 420 employees in 19 countries and exporting to more than 90 countries, we contribute to the availability of responsible food for the well-being of millions of people worldwide.
All our R&D activities are largely carried out in Metslawier. In this advanced Knowledge centre more than 100 colleagues from all over the world work on a daily basis to develop new varieties, improve current breeds and expand our knowledge in all sorts of specialisms. In addition, various activities are carried out from our Research hub in Wageningen.
You can find more information on our website: www.hzpc.com.
For more information you can contact: Remco Ursem (Program Leader Bioinformatics: + 31 6 30 58 46 81 or email@example.com)
For more information about the procedure, please contact Koenraad Witteveen (HR Manager +31 6 20 44 84 06).
Are you enthusiastic? Then send us your application (cv and motivation) via the application form before February 24th 2023.
Acquisition in response to this vacancy is not appreciated.